hippoTV multilingual videos The 7th broadcast interview
[Washi-syokunin] Iwano Ichibei
Please tell me the history of Mr. Iwano and "WASHI"Japanese paper?
- My father told me to go to the Great East Asian War and help the house, so I was made to help him. It is the beginning that I could not help entering this paper job.
While I was an elementary school student or junior high school student, I could not make paper for half-purpose, but I could do other things.
It was around the age of 28 or 29 that I started making the paper because I made the paper.
So I'm doing paper making for about 50 years.
Mr. Iwano who kept paper making just for 50 years and became the first craftsman of the era.
What is "heart" of making "WASHI"Japanese paper, living in my heart?
- Since I am doing the same thing every day, it is strange that I am inexorable, but I think that it is not good to think too much.
Whatever paper you draw, if you feel a bit more concerned about that, the paper you are working on now becomes bad.
So after all, do not think about anything else until you're done.
Therefore, it is close to being innocent, is not it?
Mr. Iwano who made washi with innocence and became a contemporary masterpiece?
- Sometimes there are people who say they are experts who are masterpeople, but if you think that they are masterpieces, they say that after I died, I am always saying that craftsmen are not masterpieces.
I do not think there is anything more difficult than paper making.
Among the many people seeking Iwano's "WASHI"Japanese paper, how do the world and Iwano face each other?
- The Louvre Museum A large museum in France said that this washi was the best and gathered all over the world and tested it, it remained on this paper.
In Canada we had a relationship with woodblock print called Alex, who was asked by Canadian government to slide on a wonderful woodcut print, but this work can not fit unless it is a paper of Ichihei So saying from Canada that I received an international call and asked me to make 100 cards, I made 100 cards and put them in, but there are people in Canada who know my paper is. So, there are people who buy from over there without advertising from here.
We do not advertise because it can not be mass produced.
Washi making, which is called boiling, dusting, dissolving, papering, squeezing, drying,
It seems that it can be divided into 6 processes, large?
- In the long storage room, I told you not to pull out even a little. So I will not pull out my hands and, furthermore, it is difficult to do with making thicker paper, but I am planning to make paper withstanding such difficulties.
"Paper making". Due to the cupping bleed and smooth finish to obtain paper thickness, the delicacy of the hand is necessary, but it seems to enter the most important process in making Japanese paper?
- My mother told me that the difficult thing to do with paper making was saying that it was a first year student until he died.
So, I do not think that this is good.
About Iwano's technique?
- Since it is originally long in fiber, it can not be interrupted even if pulling this much, so modern prints that can withstand any number of sliding in woodcuts are dozens of times not to be hundreds of times sliding Woodcut prints come out.
I am in trouble unless it is a feeling (paint paper) that paint sucks in tune with it.
Is that what it is trying to give me? So I'm sticking to it
I do not know if this commitment is good or bad, but I am pleased from all of you so far.
Even at the Louvre, it is the best quality paper in the world, which is useful for painting restoration.
For Mr.Iwano, what is Japanese traditional culture, Washi?
- Even if Japanese paper is said to be Japanese paper, if it is made in Japan, it will be "Washi", and even if it is strained by machine, it says "Machinery-made Japanese paper", Japanese paper is really many kinds.
But, as this is the paper of domestic origin and the Japanese produces with this blessed water, since it is this paper with sincere sincerity, I think that this paper will definitely remain and I think that it is one piece of paper I would like you to leave absolutely.
I think this is a real Japanese paper.
[WASHI-SYOKUNINN] Iwano Ichibei
[WASHI-SYOKUNIN] 【Ichibei Iwano】
Fukui, one of the leading Japanese paper which continues from the Nara era
Even today, ”Ichibei Iwano", a human national treasure that continues to produce the finest Japanese paper.
Known as "Village of paper" since the Nara era, this town is a source of water quality suitable for washi making,
High quality washi is produced today as well.
Among the many Japanese paper craftworkers "Ichibei Iwano" is the ninth generation that is said to have the best skill.
In 2000, she was designated as a holder of important intangible cultural heritage of the country.
A masterpiece of Japan who has just cursed paper for 50 years.
Iwano makes only one kind of paper. That's "Echizen kizukibousyo".
This washi, using only "Kosho", the finest ingredient,
From the Muromachi period, the venerable paper used as a service to convey the life of court and samurai.
Currently this paper is mainly used for woodcut prints such as Ukiyo-e prints.
Regardless of domestic and international, top-level woodblock artists seek Iwano's "Housyo Gami".
From Ukiyo-e artist "Motoharu Asahika"
"We, woodblock printmakers, especially during the Edo era when doing various prints such as Ukiyo-e, Ichino Ichibei of Echizen
I am writing a Japanese paper. Even now even if you make a good thing, there are only "Ichibee Iwano".
The current situation is that I am asking you for a long time.
From village of Echizen Japanese paper ⇒http://www.echizenwashi.jp/tourguide/kogeishi.html